Author Topic: Hemi -vs- Supercharger for the JK  (Read 4969 times)

Offline Scramblin_Jim

• Charter Member
Hemi -vs- Supercharger for the JK
« on: 05/22/2011, 08:00 PM »
Well when I ever hit the lottery I'd like one of these supercharger kits from Ripp Modifications for about $5,000:
http://www.rippmods.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=0710JKGEN2-SDS-STG2&CartID=1

I'd be interested in your comments on supercharged -vs- HEMI upgrade at $20,000.  Ripp also claims if the supercharger goes out on the trail, you simply replace the belt and your back to stock. Also useful if emissions does not allow the supercharger.  Anyone know if that is the case for AZ?
"Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give it to those who are not."

...Thomas Jefferson

Curly

Re: Hemi -vs- Supercharger for the JK
« Reply #1 on: 05/22/2011, 08:12 PM »
Jim, here is an idea you can work on in your own time, it will cost a lot less than a supercharger or a Hemi.

I would recommend stainless steel for the pipes. It should be emissions friendly. ;D

Curly

Offline Scramblin_Jim

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 05/22/2011, 09:01 PM »
Ha ha, good one.
I'm seriously thinking of selling the Scrambler and putting the proceeds from the sell into this modification plus a lift on the JK.  I think an engine swap is just too expensive and really doesn't give you any more fuel economy.

...Thomas Jefferson

elaskins

« Reply #3 on: 05/23/2011, 01:28 AM »
I have been looking at doing the HEMI swap as well and I have found engine, Transmissions, t-cases, ECM, TCM, and all wiring harnesses for around 5k on ebay. Most of engines have the A/C compressors and the fan still on them.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?pn=51109.100,51109.101,51109.110,51109.111&cn=AEV+HEMI+Conversion+Kits+for+Wrangler+JK

The link above is a swap kit for around 5k with all the A/C lines you will need.

All of that being said the V8 swap is a awesome to say you have but for the time and cost I think I would go with the super charger if it does what they say. Is this jeep your daily driver or just a toy? If a daily driver I would definitely go the super charger route and if a toy go with a supercharger and a V8 swap, then you wont have to worry if you made the right choice.

Offline Russ Chung

• Charter Member
    • Russ Chung
« Reply #4 on: 05/23/2011, 09:54 AM »
Superchargers would probably require premium gas, which might be hard to find in some of the places that we take our Jeeps.  i.e., the north rim of the Grand Canyon and Baja.

If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk!
KI6MLU

Matus

« Reply #5 on: 05/23/2011, 02:21 PM »
Please do correct me if i'm wrong, and I very well could be, but couldn't you just keep a few bottles of octane booster for when you'd have to buy lower octane fuel? We had the same issue with a supercharged mazda miata (1.6L) that started pinging at high altitude and only 89 octane. So we added good quality octane booster and it ran like a champ.

just thinking out loud...

Offline ZJ Woody

• Membership Director
  • Global Moderator
  • ZJ-The Offroad Cadillac/Lost in the Nevada Desert
« Reply #6 on: 05/23/2011, 04:37 PM »
OK
I have to put my 2 cents in.
Being that I love the '96 to '98 ZJs you can guess what's coming.
Buy a low mileage Grand Cherokee, '96 to '98 ZJ with the 5.2L or 5.9L V8 for around $5,000.
Put another $5,000 into it to fix and repair any worn parts.
Add another $5,000 to $10,000 in a lift kit, axles & diffs, transfer case, suspension mods and tires.
And you have a very comfortable Jeep that will travel on the highway well, go anywhere you want to go offroad,
and you don't need a trailer because you have more than enough room in the back and if you want you could even sleep in the back.
Total investment = $20,000 to $25,000 and cheaper insurance, plenty of power and at least 15 mpg on regular fuel unless you pick the 5.9L (16 mpg on premium).  ;)

I almost bought a JK when they first came out. Now I am soooooo glad I did not,.........do the MATH.  ::)
« Last Edit: 05/23/2011, 04:39 PM by ZJ Woody »
Ham Call Sign: WO7ODY
'96 ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L LTD Lifted 6"/4.56 gears (for moderate trails)
'98 ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L LTD Lifted 8"/5.38 gears (desert prerunner & challenging trails)
'04 KJ Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L (wife's daily driver)
'05 WK Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L Hemi (for long road trips)

Offline SteelPonyCowboy

• Director - Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 05/23/2011, 07:11 PM »
I would go the supercharger route on the JK.     

You don't need all that HP from a hemi all the time and the hemi is not going to give you good fuel mileage (who was it told me that his hemi Dodge truck gets 11mpg all the time and he is happy with that).

The supercharger is a simpler and less expensive option that will result in less weight than the V-8,  very good HP gains and still get the gas mileage you have come to expect.

I don't need a hemi or a supercharger in the 5.9 ZJ,  it has plenty of power for me.    The TJ is another story,   if I were going to do anything I would do a SBC swap,  maybe an LT1.    Looking at doing that same swap in the Beast a while back I found that I could get a low mileage LT1 motor, the brackets and computer for about $2500.     There is a company in CA that specializes in low mileage set ups with the tranny, PC for under 2K.     Weld in new motor mounts,  figure out your exhaust and hook up 3 wires to the computer and you are up an running (can it be that simple).   

I just can't see the cost for the hemi conversion when you could probably do the CRD turbo diesel for about the same and get great power and much better gas mileage.   I seriously and thinking my next Jeep (after an LJ) will be a WK diesel.
CB Call Sign:  Stinger
Ham Call Sign: K7FSJ

ob1jeeper

« Reply #8 on: 05/23/2011, 08:55 PM »
$20000, or even $5000 will go a VERY long way in buying fuel...

While both the $20K for a Hemi conversion, AND the $5K for a supercharger would provide more power levels, neither are IMHO going to provide a very cost-effective alternative to what you have.

While on the surface, the $5K for the supercharger seems nice, that V6 engine was not designed to handle the increases in compression the supercharger creates.   The entire engine structure, (pistons, connecting rods, bearings, block, cylinder heads, and cyl head bolts, crankshaft, etc. etc. etc.) are simply not designed for the increased loads that a supercharged induction system creates.   May work fine for 5-10 thousand miles, but if you are planning on keeping this vehicle long-term, it is my humble opinion that you are better off leaving the base powerplant alone.

BUT...  If you are absolutely convinced that you do not have sufficient power, AND are willing to spend $$'s to get more, the better of the two options is a Hemi, including the trans that will be needed to handle the increased torque.

Offline Scramblin_Jim

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 05/23/2011, 10:43 PM »
Fuel cost is not the issue.  It is POWER!!!

So Jeep blew it!  They put in a mini van engine for economics and totally ignore that there are SOME customers out there would like more performance from their JK's.  An engine with 75 more HP would have ended all of these problems.

Seems to me they should offer other engine choices expecially with the popularity of the JK 4-door.  Just about every block in my neighborhood has a JK in the driveway.  You sure don't see that with Grand Cherokees. 

I like Woody's approach.  Makes sense if the realiability of the ZJ's were better.  I sure know a few friends who have had a higher number of repair problems and they don't even go off road!!!  That's what keeps me away from them.

Oh well, thanks for the input.  I will NOT being doing a supercharger simply because I can't justify it in my mine to spend that kind of money for 100 HP.

...Thomas Jefferson

Offline samwhite

• Charter Member
    • Cave Creek Analytical
« Reply #10 on: 05/24/2011, 06:02 AM »
First please contact Jim azjeepforme.  He has a friend who put on a turbo and as OB1 stated, screwed up his engine.  I think it was burned valves.

What is all the fuss about a minivan engine?  It is the perfect engine for a real Jeep.  We do exactly the same thing as soccer moms.  We drive around with a lot of heavy stuff at 4 miles per hour.  It is exactly the engine that is required for our purposes.  Of course there are purposes and purposes.  Now if you are the type who wants to show off and do stupid things to your Jeep (like put on a hood that suggests you have a hemi) then that is another matter.  But for the REAL reason a Jeep was created, the minivan is perfect.  This is not my opinon but a real fact and no comments are welcome or will be considered.
Standing in the path of an oncoming Jeep can be painful

Offline Scramblin_Jim

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 05/24/2011, 07:12 AM »
 :o  ???  ::)  8)

...Thomas Jefferson

Offline Scout

• Board Member
« Reply #12 on: 05/24/2011, 08:09 AM »
I'm certainly in the minority when it comes to the JK's engine, I actually like it and find it works fine for all my purposes. I've pulled a heavy Boy Scout trailer many times with no issues. However I do have the 6-speed manual tranny, which I think makes all the difference. Almost everyone I've spoken too that complains about the engine has an automatic.

Also, let's not forget that this "mini-van" engine has millions of miles of history with some of the worst drivers out there (soccor moms) and has been a work horse. I like the idea of knowing I have a proven engine than all these people chomping at the bit for the new Pentastar in the 2012's which has virtually no history.

KF7PJU - Scout
"One does not simply walk into Mordor, but you can drive there in a Jeep!"

azjeep4me

« Reply #13 on: 05/24/2011, 01:59 PM »
Jim

If you will contact me directly I can from personal experience answer your questions colncerning RIPP superchargers and also the 5.7 Hemi conversion

Offline SteelPonyCowboy

• Director - Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 06/03/2011, 11:29 PM »
Ob1.

Does the 4.0 fair any better with a supercharger or turbocharger than the 3.8 in the JK?    Don Pryor swore by his.
CB Call Sign:  Stinger
Ham Call Sign: K7FSJ